Marking our time together

The summer before starting seminary, I worked on staff at a camp in eastern Iowa. Throughout the summer, the staff had "secret pals" - we gave gifts to another staff member each week, then revealed our identity to one another during the last week of camp. The gift I received from my secret pal that last week was a Bible, which had been lovingly highlighted and marked with the favorite verses and names of all the camp staff, as well as verses that had been sung at campfires and shared in Bible studies that summer. It was a wonderful way to be reminded of our time together that summer, and our ongoing connection to one another as members of the Body of Christ, even as we departed from one another in August.

Photo by Aaron Burden on Unsplash


A few years later, I brought that Bible out in my last week of internship at Grace Lutheran Church in Boone, NC, and invited the members to add their names and favorite verses to its pages. I saw it as a way of marking the year of learning and ministry we had shared, and remembering the folks who would continue to pray for me as I moved on to the next stage of the candidacy process. The next year, more highlights and underlines and names were added by members of the Littlestown Lutheran Parish just outside Gettysburg, PA, where I served as a pastoral associate during my final year of seminary.

I treasure this Bible because it's such a tangible reminder of our belonging in the great communion of saints, and of the living Word that makes a difference in our lives here and now. Each highlighted verse carries with it layers of meaning for each of these individuals; memories of family and church, of encouragement in challenging times, of funerals and weddings and baptisms and confirmations.

Our worship service on Sunday will end with a brief liturgy of "Thanksgiving at the Conclusion of a Call", and then we'll gather for a simple reception after worship. During that time, my Bible will be available for you to add your favorite verses and name, too - if you're not sure where to find your favorite, feel free to Google or ask me "Where's that verse where it says something like...?" If you can't be there Sunday, you can text or email me and I'll add the underline and name on your behalf. I would be honored to have these reminders of our time together to carry with me as I enter a new season of life and ministry. 


Bonus Resources: 

  • Tomorrow is Epiphany Day. Here's my reflection on Epiphany from last year.
  • One of the traditional ways to mark Epiphany Day is with a home blessing and chalking the door. Here's a brief liturgy you can use to bless your home (also available in the 2021 Advent devotion book).

Comments