The Lord is my shepherd

The fourth Sunday of Easter is, unofficially, "Good Shepherd Sunday". There is plenty of imagery throughout the Bible that describes God as a shepherd and God's people as the sheep. Like a good shepherd does for the sheep, God seeks us out when we are lost, protects us from danger, and provides for our needs.

Good Shepherd window at Trinity Lutheran, Connellsville

Of all the passages about sheep, Psalm 23 is perhaps the most beloved. Its words have been set to music in many different hymn paraphrases, and accompany imagery of green pastures and fluffy sheep in artwork and stained glass. While Psalm 23 may be particularly linked in our memory to funerals, it is a passage that offers comfort and reassurance at all times of our lives.  

1 The Lord is my shepherd,
I shall not be in want. 
2 The Lord makes me lie down in green pastures;
and leads me beside still waters.
3  You restore my soul, O Lord,
and guide me along right pathways
for your name’s sake.

What a comfort it is to know that it is God who is our shepherd, and God who calls us God's own! This is not a statement of our allegiance to anyone or anything, but a reminder that God has gathered and claimed us.

In this time of shortages and scarcity, both real and imagined, it is a comfort to be reminded that we follow a shepherd who knows our needs and provides for them. In this time of anxiety and uncertainty, it is a relief to hear that God restores our soul and leads us in the way we should go. In what ways is your soul restored?

4 Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I shall fear no evil;
for you are with me;
your rod and your staff, they comfort me.

It can be tempting to think that being a Christian ought to give us the secret short-cut around, rather than through, the valley of the shadow of death. We know all too well that this is not the case. Hardships, grief, unmet expectations, loss of all kinds - the path we travel seems to wind through this valley again and again. Though this is a road we wish we could avoid, we give thanks that in the midst of our fear, God walks with us and we are not alone. How have you experienced God's presence in the midst of the valley of the shadow of death?

5 You prepare a table before me
in the presence of my enemies;
you anoint my head with oil,
and my cup is overflowing.

God's provision is always rooted in abundance - a table is prepared, not somewhere hidden, but even in the presence of enemies; anointing oil is generously poured; cups are filled to overflowing. In what ways have you experienced God's abundance?

6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me
all the days of my life,
and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.

While often it may seem that trouble and challenges are following us wherever we go, here we are reminded that God's goodness and mercy pursue us, too. Nothing can separate us from God, and God's promise is that we will dwell with God forever. 

What a fitting message for this time of fear and uncertainty! Through green pasture and darkest valley alike, God our shepherd is with us, leading and guiding us along the way.
 

Comments