Month One

It’s Advent! It’s the beginning of my second full month as pastor of Trinity Lutheran Church in Connellsville, Pennsylvania! I really enjoy the medium of blogging as an intentional way to reflect on meaningful experiences in the midst of a busy schedule!

All of these are reasons why I’m making the commitment to post something here once a week during Advent. To start things off – a few reflections on my first month of ordained ministry:

Visits. Sometimes pastoral visits are difficult for me. I understand their importance, and I really do enjoy sharing communion with folks who are not able to come to worship on a regular basis. But, especially because I am an introvert, it can take a lot of effort to pick up the phone and schedule a visit, and to meet parishioners for the first time with no sense of their background, personality, or level of coherence.

Amazingly, I am always, always blessed by these visits. Two visits in particular have stuck with me so far. A few weeks ago I spoke with a woman’s caretaker and stopped by for a visit. She has dementia, which I didn’t know until I arrived, and while she could briefly answer my questions, we weren’t having a very in-depth conversation. So, I pulled out my little hymnal, trying to choose hymns she might recognize. I sang “Amazing Grace” and “Great is Thy Faithfulness” and “What A Friend We Have in Jesus” and, finally, “Jesus Loves Me,” where this woman who could not speak very much joined in, singing along with a crystal-clear voice.

On another visit, Daniel and I visited a man together. When it came time for communion, he was very distracted and asked questions and interrupted the words of institution and the Lord’s prayer. I smiled and continued on, and after serving the wafer and cup of wine to him and to Daniel, I asked this man if he would give the wafer and wine to me. He was quite confused by my request! “But, he’s a pastor,” he said, pointing to Daniel. “I know,” I responded. “But I can receive communion from him any time. I’d really like to hear the words from you.” So, shakily, he handed me the wafer, “The body of Christ for you,” and the wine, “The blood of Christ shed for your sins.” Later, as Daniel and I walked out the door, this man couldn’t stop talking about how honored and special he felt to give communion to me. I felt honored to receive it.

Sunday School. One of the things I was really excited about after meeting with the call committee for the first time was the chance to experience intergenerational Sunday school at Trinity. We have about 15 kids and 10 adults after worship each Sunday morning, and it’s been great to watch and listen to the interactions between the kids and older members. The conversation has been wonderful, and more and more people are joining in. We’ve started each class by sharing highs and lows, and some families have taken the initiative to bring that practice home. Yes! I’m especially looking forward to the possibility of using Faith Ink’s Bible Songs curriculum in the new year.

Standing Outside. Though I cannot take credit for the idea, I’ve found it very meaningful to stand out on the sidewalk in front of the church entrance for 10 to 15 minutes before worship. There’s a lot vying for my attention in the time before worship begins – making sure the missal is set and my sermon is in the pulpit, checking batteries and putting on my alb and stole, touching base with the assisting minister and anyone who has questions for me. But, so far for three weeks in a row I’ve managed to get ready and sneak outside, and it’s been a delight to greet folks on their way in (especially the ones who are so surprised to see me out there!) and to wave to those who happen to be driving by. My favorite thing was the first Sunday I did this, someone who had entered the church before I got outside poked her head out of the door, and, with great surprise, said, “Oh! You really are standing out here! Someone said you were, but I couldn’t believe it!” Barring a blizzard, I hope to get out there at least a few weeks more this winter, and then I’ll definitely pick it up again come spring!


Like I said, just a few reflections. Advent blessings to you!

Comments

  1. Thanks for sharing, Kerri. These are great reflections and I'm glad you were able to post them. I'm hoping you'll tell us more about intergenerational Sunday school and how that works.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Chuck! I will certainly post about intergenerational Sunday School here and update it as we dive into this new curriculum soon. Hope you're doing well (and give us a shout if you're out toward Pittsburgh any time soon)!

      Delete

Post a Comment