A different sort of Ash Wednesday

My grandma died a little over a week ago. She was 83, and suffered from Alzheimer’s and too many health issues. Praise God for the blessing of peace, and for the promise of the resurrection. My aunt and I went down to see her at the beginning of February, and she seemed to be just a shell of the grandma I remembered spending time with only a few months previous. But it was good to see her, and to bring the photo book I had put together, even if it never seemed that her eyes were open long enough to look at it.

There was one tiny burst of her old self – the hospice nurse was doing the intake evaluation and told Grandma she needed to lift up her shirt a little bit. Grandma, who had been silent and with closed eyes for much of the day, opened her eyes at that moment and said, “Story of my life…” It was hilarious (and sad), but brought a much-needed smile to our faces.

Visiting the Wartburg Castle, Eisenach, Germany - 2006

Today, while waiting at the mechanic in between two Ash Wednesday services, my mom called. I went outside to talk, and there were loud mechanic noises going on, so when I heard my mom say “ashes”, I assumed she meant the church kind of ashes, so I said, “Yeah, me too. We had a tiny service at noon.” Then the loud mechanic noise stopped, and she repeated herself. “No, I said I picked up Grandma’s ashes this morning.”

Oh.

Not the church kind of ashes. And, exactly the church kind of ashes.

Because when the black, ashen cross is smeared on the foreheads of babies, and kids, and adults, and old people, the pastor says, “Remember that you are dust, and to dust you shall return.” That’s not some sort of spiritual statement. It’s physical. Physical bodies that decay and return to dust, the stuff of creation.

As I said in my sermons today, the ashes with which we are marked remind us of who we are – Mortal. People who are marred by the blackness of Sin. Bodies that will eventually die, and be dust and ash.

And, the ashes are marked in the sign of the cross, a reminder of whose we are. At baptism a cross was traced with anointing oil on that same forehead, and these words were spoken: “Child of God, you have been sealed by the Holy Spirit and marked with the cross of Christ forever.” Forever! Not even being reduced to literal, physical dust can separate us from God.

Ash Wednesday meant something a little different for me after I got off the phone with my mom. Ashes, relationships, family, life, and death – all good things to think about this season of Lent.

Remember that you are dust, and to dust you shall return.


Comments