Have you met my friend?

One of our textbooks for class this week is Parker Palmer's To Know as We are Known. Palmer has a lot of really wonderful insights, but his commentary on using the metaphor of friendship to describe the relationship between teacher, student, and subject especially caught my eye today. Palmer writes: 
"The teacher, who knows the subject well, must introduce it to students in the way one would introduce a friend. The students must know why the teacher values the subject, how the subject has transformed the teacher's life. By the same token, the teacher must value the students as potential friends, be vulnerable to the ways students may transform the teacher's relationship with the subject as well as be transformed" (104). 
First of all, it makes such a difference in the learning experience for the teacher to be deeply interested in and passionate about the subject. Have you ever been in a class or seminar where the person teaching seemed to be skimming through the instruction booklet, with no evidence of prior connection or knowledge? I suppose there could be an attitude of mutual wonder and discovery, but often what comes across is a scrambling to appear as an authority. On the other hand, a teacher who cares deeply about the subject often expresses this, perhaps unconsciously, through excitement about the subject and eagerness to introduce the students to it. 

The way we develop this deep interest and passion is often as a result of some sort of experience of transformation. And, I think what Palmer is pointing to is that the experience of transformation is not a static thing - it is, rather, an ongoing process, shaped by the continued encounters with the subject itself as well as in the experience of another's engagement with the subject. 

I am mindful of the ways in which this passage points, for me, to an idealized vision of evangelism, and the sharing of our faith. Often when I talk during Bible studies about evangelism, one of my opening questions is, "For what sorts of things do you 'evangelize', other than your faith?" Scouts? Your favorite musical group? A book you recently read? A product of some sort that you found especially meaningful? A favorite vacation destination or local restaurant?

(The things for which I evangelize vary depending on my audience, but might include Daniel Erlander's work, one of my favorite novels, this radio program, and Cheerwine.)

In more or less profound ways, these things we choose to introduce to others have transformed us in some way - perhaps transforming the way we think of beauty, the way we look at the world. They've infused us with new ideas, new perspectives, and excitement about what is possible. 

For all the ways we (Lutherans, especially?) avoid the word "evangelism," if it means what I've described above, I'm not sure why we do. The key, drawing on Palmer's words, is the idea of mutuality. When we talk about our faith, is our presupposition that we're offering something to the other that she's never heard of before? Or do we acknowledge the ways in which, even for someone who is not a Christian, God is already at work in her life? 

Because we don't know, right? I could share with you how wonderful "This American Life" is, and you could respond, "I think so, too!" and tell me about your favorite episode. When I "introduce you to my friend" and tell you about how I've experienced God's presence in my life, I need to hear your introductions, too. And hopefully we'll leave that encounter enriched and excited, and hopefully we'll have met our old friend in new ways. 

Comments

  1. Yes! And you've put your finger on such a key element of learning here -- I'm so glad you see the connections to deep evanglism.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto! I know for me as a teacher, I enjoy the experience so much more when I connect not only to my own theological passions, but the passions of my students. Thanks for your reflections on Palmer in this way.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment